Le Richemond overlooks the Jet D'Eau a large fountain towering over Lake Geneva. It is one of the city's most famous landmarks and it is regarded as the symbol of Geneva.
The Jet D'Eau was first installed in 1886 as a simple security valve to the Coulouvrenière hydraulic factory. However, it was not until 1951 that it was provided with an autonomous pumping station, propelling 500 litres of water per second to a height of 140 metres at a speed of 200 km per hour (124 miles/h). When it is in operation, at any given moment there are about 7,000 litres (1849 gallons) of water in the air. The fountain can be reached via a stone jetty, from the left bank of the lake—may be surprised to find themselves drenched after a slight change in wind direction. Twelve lights light illuminate the fountain in the evening as it soars skywards.
Le Richemond also has views over Jardin Brunswick and Lake Geneva facing directly out to Jet D'Eau.